When known, available positions for paid employment requiring an organist, choir director, pianist, or any combination of the above will be posted here. We are also happy to advertise opportunities for voluntary service in church or choral music. Contact information will be posted as provided by the employer, or the organization seeking volunteers, and it will remain until the closing date for applications, or until the position is filled, whichever comes first.
Please check back to this page for updates. If you have any questions about the hiring process, feel free to contact us using the Contact page. We’re here to assist both employers and job seekers so please don’t hesitate to ask for help.
St. Paul Lutheran Church
Director of Music (part-time position)
We are an ELCA and Reconciling in Christ congregation in Albuquerque, New Mexico, seeking
a part-time Director of Music (averaging 15 hours per week). The role of this position is to lead,
seek out, encourage, and coordinate the music ministry to enrich the worship and spiritual life of
the congregation and the community.
The position reports to the Pastor and is responsible for:
- Leading the Choir
- Nurturing lay leadership and continuing the rich heritage of excellence in music
- Developing the Music Ministry of SPLC
- Working with the Pastor and members of the Worship and Music Team to plan
weekly and seasonal worship
To serve in this role of inspiring and motivating others to deepen and share their faith through
music, a successful candidate will possess the following:
- Background in or understanding of liturgical worship
- Ability to accompany hymns/anthems on piano and organ (preferred)
- Ability and energy around leading a variety of styles of music in worship
- Leadership and collaborative skills needed to coordinate the Music Ministry
- Knowledge and experience in conducting choral and instrumental music
- Technical/digital abilities (portable sound equipment, social media, etc.)
- Respect for our Mission and Welcome Statements
Candidates must hold at least a bachelor’s degree in music, while a master’s degree in music is
Please submit a cover letter, resume and list of three references to:
St. Paul Lutheran Church
ATTN: Personnel Committee
PO Box 25001
Albuquerque, NM 87125
Or by email to email@example.com. If submitting your letter and resume by e-mail please
indicate “Director of Music Search” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Application deadline: 1 April 2021 Start date: 1 May 2021
Edited and approved by Personnel 24 Feb 21
JOB DESCRIPTION – CHOIR LEADER
First Presbyterian Church of Belen
Approved by Session October 11, 2020
Basic Competencies: Employee should be proficient with the piano and /or organ with knowledge of church music, Presbyterian liturgy, and theology as it applies to worship and music. Exhibits skills and musical training, such as vocal production skills, sight reading skill, and note learning. Must have the ability to organize and lead choirs, arrange and direct musical presentations and work well will with choir members, Pastor, and Session.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Direct supervisor is the Pastor with oversight by the Session Worship and Personnel Committees. The Pastor has the ultimate responsibility for the worship service including the music supporting the service.
- Promote music that is appropriate and cohesive to the Sunday order of worship, conferring with the Pastor about the music selected for Sunday worship ensuring it is compatible with the choir’s abilities and enhances the worship experience.
- Make choir rehearsals and performances a team building and individually rewarding experience. Organize, rehearse, and prepare the choir to accompany congregation singing and to perform for the congregation special music presentations such as Anthems.
- Use rehearsal time efficiently and effectively; rehearsal should prepare the choir to the best of its ability.
- Maintain a Play List that shows the music scheduled for Anthems and hymns four weeks in advance and special presentations 6 weeks in advance. Update weekly and post the Play List in the choir room.
- Be familiar with and effectively use the choral and vocal music libraries, printed worship aids, and sound equipment available in the church.
- Oversee the selection, preparation, and performance of music for special functions, seasonal programs and pageants.
- Develop a plan for recruitment of choir members and actively pursue recruitment of choir members.
- Be a good team player and assist the church in meeting its goals.
- Each week conduct a rehearsal and a pre-Sunday Service prep session.
- Sit “ex-officio” on the Worship Committee.
- Based on availability, will play for weddings and funerals, coordinating the selected music with the Pastor and the families involved. Fees for these services are established in accordance with the policies in the Church Building Use Operating Instruction.
- Work with the Worship Committee and identify needs for organ maintenance, piano turning, care of other instruments, and music library enhancements.
- Be familiar with the Church Financial, Building Use, and Building Security Operating Procedures.
- Possess basic technical knowledge to permit operating the Church sound system and its components.
- Secure the building using the Building Security Checklist if the last one to leave the building.
Please let me know if you or anyone you know, would be interested. Reply to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To submit advertising information for a paid-employment position, or to make a volunteer request, either send info by email to: email@example.com, or use the form below:
AGO Career Services Center
(permanent postings for career musicians)
The Career Services Center on the National Guild Website has a listing of jobs that are available across the country. You will need your member number to access the Career Services job postings.