When known, available positions for paid employment requiring an organist, choir director, pianist, or any combination of the above will be posted here. We are also happy to advertise opportunities for voluntary service in church or choral music. Contact information will be posted as provided by the employer, or the organization seeking volunteers, and it will remain until the closing date for applications, or until the position is filled, whichever comes first.
Please check back to this page for updates. If you have any questions about the hiring process, feel free to contact us using the Contact page. We’re here to assist both employers and job seekers so please don’t hesitate to ask for help.
Director of Music
La Mesa Presbyterian Church
Application Form Download: dir_music_job_application_form.pdf
Job Title: Church Music Director
Reports to: Pastor
Time Type: Part Time
Job Category: Christian Music / Christian Musician
Salary: $30,000 minimum
Worship Style: Innovative Liturgical – we use the “Glory to God” hymnal. Our music selection ranges from traditional 4-part hymns to spiritual/gospel and world music to newly composed worship songs.
Church Size: 200-225
This is a part time position that is responsible for the overall music program of the church, initiating programs, arranging for rehearsals, special music, etc. The Music Director also provides piano or organ accompaniment for both choir and congregation. He or she works closely and cooperatively with the pastor in planning music appropriate to the church’s liturgy and to the service. The Music Director is responsible to the Session through the Worship Committee. The Music Director has supervisory responsibility for the entire music program of the church, including music in worship and for special music events. These include but are not limited to the following:
- Plans the music and accompanies the choir on organ or piano, as appropriate for Sunday morning worship services, in coordination with the pastor, arranges for choir or other rehearsals, solos, special music, etc.
- Conducts the Chancel Choir in rehearsals and during all worship services in which the choir participates or assigns this duty in his/her absence.
- Conducts or assigns qualified person to work with children’s music. If done in conjunction with mid-week children’s program, meets and coordinates with Director of such program. Determines rehearsal and worship participation for group(s).
- May conduct or assign qualified person to conduct, as circumstances allow, one or more handbell choirs. Determines rehearsal and worship participation schedule for same.
- Coordinates the selection and ordering of ensemble music for all worship services in relation to the lectionary or to themes set forth in consultation with the Pastor or Worship Committee.
- Meets regularly with the Pastor to address worship planning and other staff concerns.
- Attendance is expected for all worship services including Sunday, Wednesday rehearsals with the Chancel Choir, and other special services, including (but not limited to) Christmas, Easter and weddings and funerals as requested.
- Will arrange for substitute musician(s) when on vacation or unable to play at a wedding or funeral.
- Establishes policies within assigned responsibilities. Meets monthly with the Worship Committee for worship planning and with (currently twice annual) Liturgy Planning Group. Consults with the Worship Committee to include the development of the music budget, oversight of expenditures, and maintenance of appropriate copyright requirements.
- Supervises soloists and other instrumentalists in coordinating the musical support of worship.
- Oversees the maintenance of all church-owned musical instruments within the parameters of the budget. Grants permission and is responsible or delegates responsibility for any out-of-church use of such instruments.
- For unscheduled special services for which he/she is asked to provide music the Music Director will receive additional compensation as per a fee schedule established by the church. This also includes weddings, funerals, memorial services, and other private functions held at the church.
- Orders supplies related to the church music program as necessary. Unusual or extraordinary materials requests are cleared with the Worship Committee and through the Session as necessary.
- Shall work an average of 25 hours per week with a total of three weeks paid vacation, preferably to be taken during the summer.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with and understanding of innovative liturgical worship.
- High degree of competence in organ, piano, and choral music.
- Ability to sight-read and accompany.
- Willingness to rehearse sufficiently to maintain a high quality of music.
- Sensitivity and the ability to interact with a variety of people.
- Ability to take direction and work as a team member.
Holy Cross Lutheran Church (ELCA)
Thank you for your interest! We are praying for this process and we will be contacting applicants after July 15th.
Holy Cross Lutheran Church, a vibrant Christian community undergoing a redevelopment process, seeks a motivated and joyful person of faith to enrich our journey of renewal by leading the musical portions of our worship experiences, directing and accompanying a vocal choir, and equipping others to use their musical gifts for our life together. Holy Cross seeks someone with keyboard proficiency comfortable leading from both the piano and the organ. (Wicks two-manual, three ranks.)
Title: Music Minister
Reports To: Congregational Council
Annual Salary: $13,000
- Accompany weekly worship on Sundays at 9:30 am with a special focus on enabling congregational singing, incorporating the musical gifts of all people (including rehearsal time as needed), and seeking creative ways to incorporate young people into worship
- These same duties for special worship days such as Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day
- Four weeks including Sundays for vacation and two weeks including Sundays for continuing education of paid time off
- Direct, accompany, and rehearse with the vocal choir one evening per week for 90 minutes and Sundays 9 to 9:20 am during the school year
- Rehearse with Riverside Brass Ensemble 1 hour per week as needed
- Participate in worship planning with pastor and volunteers
- Demonstrate motivation and initiative through consistent collaboration with people and creative musical experiences for worship
- A self-motivating person of faith who is excited about being on a journey of renewal with a congregation
- Keyboard proficiency being comfortable leading from both the piano and the organ
- Proficiency in directing, accompanying, and rehearsing with a vocal choir including selecting music.
Please send cover letter and resume to Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6901 Wyoming Boulevard NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109, 505-821-4676, and/or firstname.lastname@example.org
Organist Position at Church of the Good Shepherd (UCC)
Church of the Good Shepherd (COGS) in Albuquerque, New Mexico is seeking a part time organist to play for 11:00 a.m. worship service on Sunday mornings. Responsibilities include playing hymns and service music during worship, and occasionally accompanying the choir on organ or piano, filling in for the regular pianist. Themes and scripture are planned in advance by the Pastor in collaboration with the Worship Committee and Music Staff. Musicians are encouraged to be creative in selecting music for worship. The music program is a vibrant part of worship at COGS with an active choir, vocal soloists, pianist and organist. The pianist usually accompanies the choir, but for larger works during Advent and Easter, the organ plays a key role (pun is accidental!) The church owns an older, but well maintained Allen organ. The position pays $23.62 per hour; duties usually comprise 10 hours per week, encompassing prep time and one worship service on Sundays as well as paid time for continuing ed. Preferred qualifications are a degree in music and the equivalent of two years experience playing for a church
Church of the Good Shepherd is affiliated with the United Church of Christ, is open and affirming, with a welcoming and friendly congregation and staff. Visit our website at. Please email Linda Gilmour, Music Director, with inquiries. .
Pianist position at First Unitarian Church
Reports to: Director of Music
Effective: September 2019
Status: .15 FTE
The pianist plays for congregational worship and choir rehearsals.
- Accompany congregation singing all but the first Sunday of each month, two services at 9:30 and 11am. Total 38 Sundays/year, plus Christmas Eve.
- Accompany choir, attend choir rehearsals every Thursday evening mid-August through May. (choir sings in worship 1-2 times/month).
- Accompany guest musicians if requested. Occasional solo playing as requested by the Director of Music
- Provide occasional transitional music to help the flow of worship
- Individual practice as necessary to learn music. Rehearse with guest musicians as necessary
- Willingness to play for memorial services (compensated separately at the rate of $125, about 5/year)
- Communicate in a timely way with Director of Music, guest musicians, and publications coordinator.
- Attend occasional all-staff meetings & functions, attend quarterly review meeting.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Plays fluently in a wide range of styles. Excellent sight-reading skills, ability to play from charts, improvisation skills, collaborative musicianship.
- Understands flow of congregational
- Understands how to lead congregational Willingness to experiment with tempo and hymn style
- Takes direction from ministers and Director of Music
- Facility with email and Google Docs
- Ability to pass criminal background check
Contact: Susan Peck 505-884-1801 (office, Monday-Thursday) 541-207-2889 (cell)
To submit advertising information for a paid-employment position, or to make a volunteer request, either send info by email to: email@example.com, or use the form below:
AGO Career Services Center
(permanent postings for career musicians)
The Career Services Center on the National Guild Website has a listing of jobs that are available across the country. You will need your member number to access the Career Services job postings.